[Neurodebian-devel] packages for iqr

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Mon Mar 19 12:58:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 20:14 -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> on a related note -- are those .deb's really that bad (never dealt with
> them)?  probably they might be quite usable if custom-built
> on/against for each stable release/architecture.

Think of it as of checkinstall, this is really what it is like.

For once they lack proper metadata and moreover since cpack doesn't have
anything among the lines of the shlib helper, the packages don't have
proper depends, which defeats the biggest point of having a package in
the first place, instead of just a binary tarball (the package is not
going to pull its dependencies in upon installation) ...

... unless your stuff is linked statically, in which case it is ought to
go straight ahead to the trash bin anyways.

> But even if they are usable, it would boil down to keeping a building
> farm with necessary tools to build such custom (distinctly versioned so
> there is no confusion) packages per each release/architecture/...

Exactly, this is what I meant by unportable.

It doesn't solve the problem, it only makes it even worse: instead of
writing one source package and semi-automatically backporting it, you
have to cpack in every single chroot and take care of marking the
packages accordingly...

> For moving target release/distributions (e.g. Debian testing/unstable)
> such solution would result in more hassle since then you would need
> keep track of what is happening in their land and rebuild your binary
> packages periodically if any library transition etc happens.

I'd say it's just not gonna work at all.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev