[Neurodebian-devel] ANTS

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Tue Mar 11 20:34:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014, Gert Wollny wrote:
> > Any obvious clue why lintian complaints
> > http://lintian.debian.org/tags/shlib-with-non-pic-code.html#ants
> > while I see only that we did build with -fPIC and -shared:

> I seem to remember that I saw something strange in the cmake rules:
> there was one static library that got actually shared, i.e. linked into
> all of the other shared libraries, and then the lot of shared libraries
> that are used only by one executable each. I was surprised that this
> actually worked, because on amd64 object files compiled without -fPIC
> and linked into shared libraries usually give runtime errors.

> Actually, at a second look the other libraries are all specified without
> STATIC or SHARED and BUILD_SHARED_LIBS is set to ON.

> > also -- now we got all the libraries under /usr/lib (while before went under
> > /usr/lib/ants) --
> What exactly constitutes "before"?

before this release (i.e. in older version, e.g. as in jessie
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/ants/ants_1.9.2+svn680.dfsg-4_amd64.deb)

> > any good reason for polluting public space? ;)
> No, from debian/rules I don't know what could be the reason, I don't see
> anything that i did that would change the installation location. Could
> be that moving to debhelper 9 did something? Maybe then all the
> libraries were compiled static and therefore lintian didn't complain?

I guess that was the case indeed --  sloppy me ;) and there indeed were
no shared library distributed, only binaries... heh ;)

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org