[Nut-upsdev] APC Smart-UPS 1000 RM USB problems with newhidups

George Ross gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 09:51:40 UTC 2006

> I'm trying to use a rackmount Smart-UPS from APC with the USB connector, and
> I'm running into some issues.  They seem to stem from the fact that the
> Report Descriptor is much larger than any other UPS I've seen (61939 bytes).

You'll probably find that it's not really that big, and that lsusb gives a
more realistic number (1040 is what it says here).

>   Here is the quick fix that I put in libusb.c after getting the HID
> descriptor, and before getting the Report descriptor, which seems to work
> okay:
>                         if (desc->wDescriptorLength > 4096) {
>                                 desc->wDescriptorLength = 4096;
>                         }
> I'm sure there is a better way to handle this.  I'm just wondering if this
> is okay to do, and if anyone had a better way to fix it.  Thanks!

That's pretty much what I did too.  Cf. my posting to the nut-upsdev list
<200601061304.k06D4uWd011796 at eden.inf.ed.ac.uk> about a month ago.

BTW, it might be useful to know what kernel you're running on your machine.
Ours are basically Linux 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3 variants with libusb-0.1.10a.
--
Dr George D M Ross, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
    Kings Buildings, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH9 3JZ