[Nut-upsdev] NUT and Automake

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Nov 4 18:06:11 CET 2006

Charles Lepple wrote:

> On 11/3/06, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> > Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > >
> > > As told before, I'm still stuck on the MGE NSM v3 release, so if you
> > > (Charles or Peter) start the trunk merge on the Testing branch, that
> > > would help.
> >
> > Is there anything on the Testing branch that needs to be preserved, or
> > can we just copy the current trunk to the Testing branch? That would
> > be very easy.
>
> Either way, it's a lot of scattered changes. Of course, we would have
> to bump the version numbers back down from 2.1.0 if we copy from the
> trunk, and then there's the issue of making sure we didn't change too
> much at once.
>
> For reference, I was playing with 'svn diff' commands that look like this:
>
> svn diff svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/branches/Testing@542 \
>             svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/trunk@542

I have merged a bunch of changes from the Testing branch back to the
trunk. These were mostly changes to documentation such as NEWS and
UPGRADING, as well as some of Arnaud's Sun fixes.

I don't see any additional Testing features that are missing from the
trunk. It should therefore now be possible to copy the trunk to
Testing. This will overwrite everything in Testing, and can be done
with a simple command like the one Charles used (only replace "diff"
by "merge"):

cd nut-testing
svn merge svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/branches/Testing \
              svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/trunk

It might be a good idea to tag the Testing branch before this update.
Shall I go ahead and do this?

For the future, I recommend the "best practice" that no changes are
permanent unless they are made in the trunk. If changes made in other
branches (e.g. the testing branch), it is the responsiblity of the
author of the change to make sure it is merged to the trunk.

When merging a changeset from one branch to another, I also recommend
not to create a separate ChangeLog entry for the merge. Instead, the
existing ChangeLog entries of the source branch should be merged into
the ChangeLog of the target branch. This way, it will always be
possible to do a "diff" of the Changelogs to get a quick idea of how
two versions differ. (However, one should always leave an SVN commit
message such as "merging -r500:503 from X to Y").

-- Peter