[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r746 -

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Wed Jan 17 04:45:15 CET 2007

Charles Lepple wrote:

> With automake, we collectively need to check to see if 'make
> distcheck' still works after adding or removing files. Basically,
> nothing will make its way into the NUT distribution tarball unless it
> is somehow mentioned in one of the Makefile.am files. See the
> packaging/RedHat directory for an example.

I would like to support Charles's point. "make distcheck" is your
friend. It should be our informal policy that any trunk revision
should pass "make distcheck" before it is committed. This will be
important when we generate daily tarballs, a feature that can be
expected in the near future.

I realize that "make distcheck" is not working for all developers.  It
fails if you don't have all requisite libraries installed (libssl,
libnetsnmp, libusb, libhal, libgd, ...). On some platforms, it is not
even possible to install all of these.

For this reason, I now have created a new target:

   make distcheck-light

This will check all of the features that your installation supports.
It is a reasonable pre-commit test for most people. Before creating
any actual distribution, someone should still run the full "make
distcheck".

Alternatively, we could run teach SVN to "make distcheck" on Alioth in
a pre-commit script, refusing to commit anything that does not
pass. But this would be draconian at this point, and would slow down
commits by several minutes.

-- Peter