[Nut-upsdev] tripplite smart2000rmxl2u product id 3014

teh at phy.anl.gov teh at phy.anl.gov
Thu Oct 2 17:17:12 UTC 2008

Adding the -x productid=3014 as you suggested did not work.  Here's what
the driver dumps out.

[root at fugue ups]# bin/usbhid-ups -a ups01 -DD -x productid=3014
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

debug level is '2'
upsdrv_initups...

...<snip>...

Checking device (09AE/3014) (002/002)
- VendorID: 09ae
- ProductID: 3014
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 002
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Operation not
permitted)
HID descriptor length 1145
Unable to get Report descriptor: Operation not permitted
No appropriate HID device found
No matching HID UPS found
[root at fugue ups]#

Why does it fail to claim the device?  Is another driver or process own
it?  If so, which?  And, can I remove it? Btw, the hal support does not
compile under RedHat 5x.  The g_timeout_add_seconds() in main-hal.c is not
available with the glib version 2.12 which is distributed with RedHat 5x.
I modified the code to use g_timeout_add() and scaled the poll interval
accordingly.

You might find this interesting:  Under RedHat 5x, the gnome-power-manager
actually works with my ups device.  Without installing nut at all!  The
g-p-m author claims it will work with any hid device.  But, I dont want to
use g-p-m because it works within the context of a gnome session.  I want
to run nut which has a simple server/client/monitor setup which works
better for much rackmount servers.

If you have any suggestions to try, shoot me a line.  Thanks!

Ken