[Nut-upsuser] Upsmon problem

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 08:33:44 UTC 2005

2005/12/19, Mathieu Bruneau <mathieu.bruneau at argontechnologies.ca>:

> Hi,
>         I feel that i'm having a small problem with my upsmon
> configuration
> (maybe even simply a permissions problem) since I upgrade today to 2.0.2

the solution depends on the previous version you were running (ie 1.4 or
already 2.0)

I have apcsmart set up and talk to my ups no problem (upsc get answer).
> I have upsd running no problem!
>
> But when I try to start upsmon, it's unable to talk to my upsd. Having
> try a few option I found that saying RUN_AS_USER=root makes my upsmon
> runs without any problem.
>
> Here is the message I receive from the Debug:
>
> rounoff:/var/run/nut# upsmon -D
> Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.2
> UPS: bup at localhost (master) (power value 1)
> Using power down flag file /etc/killpower
>
> Trying to connect to UPS [bup at localhost]
> UPS [bup at localhost]: connect failed: No such host
> do_notify: ntype 0x0005 (COMMBAD)
> Communications with UPS bup at localhost lost
>
> I found that if I put the -p it work but i'm not sure of what that's
> implying.
>
> Any clues of how to fix that problem ? Where to look?

according to your tests, this is a permission problem.

Send us back the following info:
- platform (ie debian, redhat, ...)
- install method (from package or source)
- upsd.conf, upsmon.conf (trim the password)
- previous nut version

Arnaud