[Nut-upsuser] Setting up NUT to monitor under OS X?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 02:59:31 UTC 2006

On 4/15/06, Aaron Howell <aaron at kitten.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if anyone has written a guide to installing nut on Mac OS X?

there are some notes in the list archives, but apparently Google
hasn't picked them up yet.

> (or a binary package)?

If you use Fink, you could probably use the nut.info file here:

http://www.ghz.cc/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dev/eda/finkinfo/ups/nut.info

(it's for an older version of NUT, but the same principles apply)

> I have a nut install on a linux box attached to a Powerware 5115 ups,
> and that seems to be working ok.
> I also have a Mac which I would like to be able to shut down when the power is failing.
> I've read through the faq, and I understand how to configure client and server once the binaries are in place,
> but I'm a little unsure about things like the appropriate way to create a nut user/group (do you do that through the account manager in system preferences? through niutil, or what)?

Either way will work, or you can just cheat and use the 'nobody' account.

> and where/how do you configure the appropriate binaries to start up and shut down correctly?

Since you would be setting up the Mac as a slave, you wouldn't have to
muck with the system's shutdown scripts to send the power-off command
to the UPS. You can do a 'shutdown -h +1', but it won't really inform
the users of the impending shutdown.

> If anyone's done this before, and made notes they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd really appreciate them.

Part of the problem is that Apple keeps improving their
startup/shutdown system, but they leave out important bits of
documentation. SystemStartup scripts are effectively obsolete as of
10.4, and launchd's control socket functionality is not documented at
all (from what I can tell). If you find out anything else we'd love to
hear about it on the list.

--
- Charles Lepple