[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite OmniPlus1000LCD Problem on VIA system

Craig Van Degrift craig at yosemitefoothills.com
Sun Aug 10 08:51:05 UTC 2008

I have two computers running Ubuntu 8.04 with all updates.  One with EHCI and
OHCI host controllers recognizes my Tripplite OmniPlus1000LCD UPS, but the
other (VIA chipset) with EHCI and UHCI does not.  When I compiled the kernel
with USB debugging enabled, I could see that the handoff from EHCI to the low
speed UHCI controller was failing leading to endless looping as the EHCI was
repeated retried.

Should the difference between OCHI and UHCI really matter in this case?  I
thought both supported USB 1.0 and USB 1.1 protocols, but I am quite fuzzy on
such matters.

I have compiled and installed the newer 2.2.1-2 nut usbhid-ups driver, but
this problem prevents me from even getting the OmniPlus1000LCD registered by
the USB low level drivers.  lsusb does not show it.

Any ideas?