[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite OmniPlus1000LCD Problem on VIA system

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 02:07:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 4:51 AM, Craig Van Degrift
<craig at yosemitefoothills.com> wrote:
> I have two computers running Ubuntu 8.04 with all updates.  One with EHCI and
> OHCI host controllers recognizes my Tripplite OmniPlus1000LCD UPS, but the
> other (VIA chipset) with EHCI and UHCI does not.  When I compiled the kernel
> with USB debugging enabled, I could see that the handoff from EHCI to the low
> speed UHCI controller was failing leading to endless looping as the EHCI was
> repeated retried.
>
> Should the difference between OCHI and UHCI really matter in this case?  I
> thought both supported USB 1.0 and USB 1.1 protocols, but I am quite fuzzy on
> such matters.
>
> I have compiled and installed the newer 2.2.1-2 nut usbhid-ups driver, but
> this problem prevents me from even getting the OmniPlus1000LCD registered by
> the USB low level drivers.  lsusb does not show it.

If lsusb doesn't see the device (possibly run as root to avoid
permission problems), then it does sound like a lower-level issue.

OHCI and UHCI both support USB 1.0 and 1.1.

It could be that the VIA board is not routing interrupts correctly. Do
you see any UHCI activity in /proc/interrupts? Do other USB 1.1
devices work on that particular port? There are a few debug options
that can be passed to the kernel that will use other means to
configure the interrupt routing.

It sounds like a question that might be better answered on a generic
Linux USB mailing list or an Ubuntu forum, though.

--
- Charles Lepple