[Nut-upsuser] Success report: APC Back-UPS RS 800

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Feb 19 18:29:18 UTC 2008

Jean Delvare wrote:

> Everything looks OK as far as I can tell, except for battery.date. If
> the string is returned directly be the UPS then I guess there's not
> much that can be done though.

This is the date read from the UPS and as far as I can see, it is
read-only. Maybe it's writeable, but then someone (preferably an owner)
has to change the 'apc-hid.c' subdriver. I doubt it's worth the effort
however.

> For what it's worth, the utility that
> comes with the UPS (PowerChute Personal Edition) doesn't seem to
> display this information (or at least I couldn't find it.)
>
> I'm not too sure about ups.delay.shutdown either; a negative value
> there looks strange, but maybe it has a special meaning?

It has. This is a counter that counts down from a delay value. When it
reaches '0', the UPS is shutdown. The value '-1' means that the counter
is currently inactive.

> As far as the hardware is concerned, the Back-UPS RS 800 seems to work
> reasonably well for my limited needs. My only concern is its power
> consumption, which I measured between 7 and 11 Watts, when my previous
> model (APC Back-UPS 500) needed only 2 Watts.

There is nothing we can do about that. Complain to the manufacturer
about that.