[Nut-upsuser] Success report: APC Back-UPS RS 800

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Tue Feb 19 18:53:28 UTC 2008

Hi Arjen,

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:29:18 +0100, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
>
> > Everything looks OK as far as I can tell, except for battery.date. If
> > the string is returned directly be the UPS then I guess there's not
> > much that can be done though.
>
> This is the date read from the UPS and as far as I can see, it is
> read-only. Maybe it's writeable, but then someone (preferably an owner)
> has to change the 'apc-hid.c' subdriver. I doubt it's worth the effort
> however.

Agreed.

> > For what it's worth, the utility that
> > comes with the UPS (PowerChute Personal Edition) doesn't seem to
> > display this information (or at least I couldn't find it.)
> >
> > I'm not too sure about ups.delay.shutdown either; a negative value
> > there looks strange, but maybe it has a special meaning?
>
> It has. This is a counter that counts down from a delay value. When it
> reaches '0', the UPS is shutdown. The value '-1' means that the counter
> is currently inactive.

Maybe this could be documented on
http://www.networkupstools.org/doc/2.2.0/new-names.html ?

> > As far as the hardware is concerned, the Back-UPS RS 800 seems to work
> > reasonably well for my limited needs. My only concern is its power
> > consumption, which I measured between 7 and 11 Watts, when my previous
> > model (APC Back-UPS 500) needed only 2 Watts.
>
> There is nothing we can do about that. Complain to the manufacturer
> about that.

Hehe, of course, I didn't expect you to fix my hardware ;) I was simply
sharing the information in case other NUT users are interested.

BTW, I _did_ complain about that to APC. They are currently
"continuing to work on my issue". I am not holding my breath though, I
reported it to show them that at least some users care about power
consumption, but I don't expect them to fix my hardware either.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare