[Nut-upsuser] diff question, Belkin F6C100-4 this time

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 00:02:51 UTC 2009

Greetings all;

I pulled a Belkin F6C100-4 into the shop this afternoon, deader than a door
nail.  Out of service for about a year because (I'm assuming here) that the
cooling fan stopped and cooked what little remaining life there may have been
out of the batteries, which had swelled so badly I had to split its frame to
get them out.  They are also in the under 1 volt per 12 volt pack charge
state, which considering they are about 5 years old & it hasn't been plugged
in for 18 months because it had failed & would not restart.

Looking over the circuitry, and playing Sherlock with the clues since I am a
C.E.T., it appears that there is a relay in series with the line voltage
input, which is driven by that section of the PCB that is connected only to
the battery, and that without the batteries to supply 'starter' power, it
will not enable the relay to power itself up.

Am I correct?

I took a chance and ordered some fresh batteries, but they probably will not
arrive before 2010 now.  I'll also need to locate a new fan, as that one can
be turned by hand or air, but is certainly much too stiff to run under its
assumed 12 volt dc supply.  No damaged parts can be seen on any of the PCB's.

I am also disappointed to find the fan doesn't have a tach wire in its hookup
that Belkin _could_ have used to trigger a power down when it failed, but
obviously did not.  For a $375 (new in 2001 or 2) ) ups, I really expected
more.  OTOH, those batteries I took out are the 3rd replacements (from Belkin
at $225 a kit) I have put in it.  What I ordered were $87 with shipping.  I
buy a lottery ticket about once a year too. ;-)

Can nut be trained to listen to this old boat (it weighs in at about 45
pounds) anchor?  Serial only of course.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Two can Live as Cheaply as One for Half as Long.
		-- Howard Kandel