[Nut-upsuser] diff question, Belkin F6C100-4 this time

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 00:25:31 UTC 2009

On Dec 27, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I pulled a Belkin F6C100-4 into the shop this afternoon

Referring to http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html , there is
a chance that one of these two drivers will talk to it:

  * http://new.networkupstools.org/man/belkin.html

  * http://new.networkupstools.org/man/belkinunv.html

I don't know enough about the model numbers to say whether yours might
be an old -UNV series or not. (Some messages that I found with Google
seem to indicate that -UNV models have a USB port as well as serial,
so it might be completely different.)

> Looking over the circuitry, and playing Sherlock with the clues
> since I am a
> C.E.T., it appears that there is a relay in series with the line
> voltage
> input, which is driven by that section of the PCB that is connected
> only to
> the battery, and that without the batteries to supply 'starter'
> power, it
> will not enable the relay to power itself up.

The belkinunv man page talks about a related issue:

http://new.networkupstools.org/man/belkinunv.html#_soft_shutdown_workaround
  (first paragraph)

It sounds like that model won't come back on if you tell it to shut
down before the batteries are completely drained. I guess it depends
whether your intended use case includes reliably starting back up
after a power outage, or if you are more concerned with shutting down
cleanly.