[Nut-upsuser] diff question, Belkin F6C100-4 this time

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 00:40:12 UTC 2009

On Sunday 27 December 2009, Charles Lepple wrote:
>On Dec 27, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> I pulled a Belkin F6C100-4 into the shop this afternoon
>
>Referring to http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html , there is
>a chance that one of these two drivers will talk to it:
>
>  * http://new.networkupstools.org/man/belkin.html
>
>  * http://new.networkupstools.org/man/belkinunv.html
>
>I don't know enough about the model numbers to say whether yours might
>be an old -UNV series or not. (Some messages that I found with Google
>seem to indicate that -UNV models have a USB port as well as serial,
>so it might be completely different.)
>
>> Looking over the circuitry, and playing Sherlock with the clues
>> since I am a
>> C.E.T., it appears that there is a relay in series with the line
>> voltage
>> input, which is driven by that section of the PCB that is connected
>> only to
>> the battery, and that without the batteries to supply 'starter'
>> power, it
>> will not enable the relay to power itself up.
>
>The belkinunv man page talks about a related issue:
>
>http://new.networkupstools.org/man/belkinunv.html#_soft_shutdown_workaround
>  (first paragraph)
>
>It sounds like that model won't come back on if you tell it to shut
>down before the batteries are completely drained.

I'd guess that depends on the definition of drained.  At <1 volt for each of
the 3 9ah packs, I'd assume these are indeed drained.  They are also about
1/4" wider in the XY direction, which does not bode well for any energy
storage capabilities within.

>I guess it depends
>whether your intended use case includes reliably starting back up
>after a power outage, or if you are more concerned with shutting down
>cleanly.

I don't care if it doesn't restart w/o manual intervention.  When I actually
had it in service the last time, it was backup up a complete desktop cnc
milling machine setup, with the idea that it would survive a 1 or 2 second
outage without wrecking the part it may have been cutting at the time.  After
20 seconds at that load, all bets are off, but a 2 second coverage will cover
99% of the power bumps we get because of poorly maintained regulator switches
at the substation.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing."
-- Karl Lehenbauer