[Nut-upsuser] My previous post (lengthy, lots of tarace output)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 22:36:39 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 30 December 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:
>Citeren Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com>:
>>> No, you didn't read the INSTALL file. These are the build in defaults
>>> if you don't tell configure where it should install things.
>>
>> Ya mean its not the usual boilerplate? ;)  IMO the defaults should at
>> least be sane.
>
>The defaults are sane. It's actually good practice to install stuff to
>/usr/local,

I have no argument with that, what I argue with is the making of a ups subdir
in all these paths, with an etc subdir in each of those.

>to prevent people from accidentally overwriting the
>version provided by a distribution. If you do want to install it in
>the location that are used by *your* distro, you'll have to explicitly
>tell configure where this is (since this varies with distribution and
>architecture). Not all *NIX systems are alike.
>
>[...]
>
>> And if I don't, its no permissions on /var/state/ups, with, the rebuilt,
>> reinstalled version works about 10% of the time, the rest of the time the
>> device doesn't match.
>
>Make sure there are no 'usbhid-ups' drivers running in the background.

There weren't. although making that run seems easy enough.

I'm burnt out on this today, I've installed it to at least 4 locations, none
of which is compatible with itself, or with what I read in the manpages.

I can, by hand. make the daemon usbhid-ups run by hand with the triplet of -
D's & a -a myups, and I can make upsd run, but I simply do not understand how
uspmon runs.  I did have it running on a one shot basis from the cli at one
point, but when I tried to hard code the locations in the /etc/init.d/ups
start/stop file, its a total failure for upsmon.

On the one hand you say it doesn't need passwd's, and recommend not to put
them in the upsd.users and upsmon.users file, but at the moment it appears I
must, however the user 'ups' has no passwd set.  So despite the manpage
showing 'MONITOR myups at localhost "master"', that fails.

There is also a missing /etc/sysconfig/ups file, which I have NDI what to put
into, so that bit of code in the init.d/ups is commented out, and
SERVER=master is set in it.

And whatever I've done now, upsdrvctl also fails.  I'm back to:

[root at coyote nut-2.4.1]# upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.1)
USB communication driver 0.31
Using subdriver: Belkin HID 0.12
Can't initialize data from HID UPS
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Again with no clue why.  I'm burned out on this.  For today anyway.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It's not reality that's important, but how you perceive things.