[Nut-upsuser] New NUT user with HP R3000XR problem

Brother Railgun of Reason alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed May 27 01:51:31 UTC 2009

Greetings,

I've just installed nut-2.4.1 on a Solaris 10 x86 machine to monitor a
HP R3000XR UPS.

SunOS babylon4 5.10 Generic_138889-08 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

First of all, I encountered a single problem during the build.  After
configuring, drivers/Makefile ends up containing the following line:

LIBNETSNMP_LDFLAGS = -R../lib -L/usr/sfw/lib -lnetsnmp -lgen [...]

This is clearly wrong, as runtime lib specifications cannot be relative.
By correcting that to -R/usr/sfw/lib, everything compiled and installed
fine.

(This occurs regardless of whether or not snmp support is enabled.)

I've already seen from the list archives that the BCMXCP driver is the
correct driver for this UPS.  I have already verified that I have the
correct serial port and that it's working properly (I am able to
communicate with an APC SU1400 on this port, using apcupsd-3.14.6 and an
APC 940-0024C cable, with no problems).  I have set the port permissions
as per the install instructions, I've set the baud rate on the port to
9600 as per existing threads in the archives, and I'm using the HP
straight-through serial cable (or is it just a serial extension cable?)
that came with the UPS.  That cable bears the following identifying
information:

HP 397237-002
SPARES P/N 397642-001 5006

ups.conf looks like this:

[tokamak]
    driver      = bcmxcp
    port        = /dev/tty00
    baud_rate   = 19200
    desc        = HP R3000XR (main rack)

This is where things start going pear-shaped.  I apparently cannot
communicate with the UPS.  I can start the bcmxcp driver, but it fails
to communicate at 9600, and "autodetects" a rate of 19200:

babylon4:root:/opt/nut/etc:9 # ../bin/upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1
Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.21 (2.4.1)
RS-232 communication subdriver 0.17
No response from UPS on /dev/tty00 with baudrate 9600
Attempting to autodect baudrate
Connected to UPS on /dev/tty00 with baudrate 19200

If I set baud_rate=19200 in ups.conf, that starts right up:

babylon4:root:/opt/nut/etc:11 # ../bin/upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1
Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.21 (2.4.1)
RS-232 communication subdriver 0.17
Connected to UPS on /dev/tty00 with baudrate 19200

But neither gets any model or version information from the UPS.  I can
start upsd:

babylon4:root:/opt/nut/etc:18 # ../sbin/upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.4.1
listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
listening on ::1 port 3493
/opt/nut/var is world readable
Connected to UPS [tokamak]: bcmxcp-tokamak
Maximum number of connections limited to 256 [requested 1024]

but can't get status from the UPS:

babylon4:root:/opt/nut/etc:19 # ../bin/upsc tokamak at localhost ups.status
Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

Am I using the correct cable here?  If not, what's the correct cable to
use?

If I am already using the correct cable, I'm presuming this means my
UPS's RS232 module is toast.

Thanks.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.