[Nut-upsuser] HP R3000XR battery charge levels?

Brother Railgun of Reason alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri May 29 00:01:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:16:22PM +0200, Kjell Claesson wrote:
> Hi again,
> > Just a couple of values are bothering me here...  hoping anyone else
> > with an R3000XR can advise.
> >
> Nice to see that you got it running.
>
> > > battery.charge:  33.1
> > > battery.runtime: 442
> > > battery.voltage: 129.2
> > >
> This may indicate a faulty battery in the pack.
> You have 10x12volt, and it should go up to about 137 volt at
> 100% charge.

Ah, so it *is* a nominal-120V battery pack then, instead of the 24V
pack in my SU1400.

> Also the runtime estimated by the ups is only about 7 min (443 sec).
> And that is low as it is only loaded to 37,5%. That should be a runtime
> at about 13 min.

Yeah, I'd expect that if it's only at 33% charge.

> But one thing is bothering me:
> >input.frequency.nominal: 60
> >input.transfer.boost.high: 12
> >input.voltage:  119.8
> >input.voltage.nominal: 120
>
> The value for input.transfer.boost.high: is way out of range.
> The value is not reported in the meter map
> And you don't have any trim, high or low point.
> It should look like this.
> input.frequency.nominal: 50
> input.transfer.boost.high: 207
> input.transfer.high: 276
> input.transfer.low: 184
> input.transfer.trim.low: 243
> input.voltage: 229
> input.voltage.nominal: 230
> (this is from a PW5115)

Comparing the two, yeah, that input.transfer.boost.high doesn't look
right ...  should probably be, what, around 97-102V?  Several values
there seem to be missing.

> Also the serial number look strange. So I need to take look on the
> driver.

Yeah, I'd noticed the serial number looked funny.

> > More to the point, though, is that battery charge level 33.1%?  And if
> > so, if the UPS is only at 37.5% load, why is the charge just sitting at
> > 33.1%?  Is that the expected output value, or a sign of a dying battery
> > pack?
> Think you have a dying battery pack.

*nod*  yeah, I had a bad feeling about that.  The battery pack came with
the UPS, both used.  One of the reasons I badly wanted to get some UPS
monitoring up was to be able to get some insight into the state of the
battery pack.

Still, even as it is it's better than no UPS.

Looks like I can pick up a new set of batteries for about $160; that's
better than I expected.  Still probably have to wait until I have a job
again though.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.