[Nut-upsuser] APC Smart-UPS 1200

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:34:46 UTC 2012

Hi Michal

2012/10/5 Michal Soltys <soltys at ziu.info>

> On 2012-10-04 22:59, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>

>> 2012/10/4 Kris Jordan <nut.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com
>> <mailto:nut.kj@**sagebrushnetworks.com <nut.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com>>>
>>

>>     Arnaud Quette wrote, On 10/4/2012 9:26 AM:
>>

>>         2012/10/4 Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
>>         <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.**ro <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>>
>>         <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.**__ro
>>
>>         <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.**ro <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>>>>
>>

>>              On 10/04/2012 05:55 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>
>>                  [...]
>>
>>                  Also note that this unit is supported through USB, but
>>         recent
>>                  SmartUPS (for ~ 3 years) use a new serial protocol,
>> called
>>                  microlink, which is not supported in NUT (nor in any
>> other
>>                  opensource solution).
>>

>>              Is that true for the SmartUPS 1000 VA (
>>         http://www.apc.com/resource/__**include/techspec_index.cfm?__**
>> base_sku=sua1000i<http://www.apc.com/resource/__include/techspec_index.cfm?__base_sku=sua1000i>
>>
>>         <http://www.apc.com/resource/**include/techspec_index.cfm?**
>> base_sku=sua1000i<http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua1000i>
>> >
>>              ) ? I plan to buy one next week and if it's not supported
>>         by nut (
>>              or apcupsd in case of emergency ) I'll go shopping
>>         something else
>>

>>         AFAICT, "newer" (since ~3 years) APC unit using the microlink
>>         for serial communication are not supported anywhere.
>>         Binary protocol, not documented, nor reverse engineered (yet).
>>         Some readings:
>>         http://forums.isxusergroups.__**com/thread.jspa?messageID=__**
>> 29863
>>
>>         <http://forums.isxusergroups.**com/thread.jspa?messageID=**29863<http://forums.isxusergroups.com/thread.jspa?messageID=29863>
>> >

>>         Another reading (search for "Do Not Purchase The Following
>> UPSes"):
>>         http://www.apcupsd.com/
>>

>>     Apcupsd works with microlink UPS's, but only the most basic status
>>     info is provided. It's not the microlink protocol it's working with,
>>     but some other basic communication mode those UPS's provide. You can
>>     get full info back by purchasing the legacy communications card.
>>

>> I'm not an APC expert, so there might be slight nuances or updates that
>> I'm not aware of.
>> as told, AFAICT any units that use microlink *doesn't* work with serial
>> driver.
>> but as also told on Apcupsd webpage, USB works (basically) and expansion
>> cards are another option.
>>
>> what is part of the nuances is the declination of SmartUPS units:
>> SMX/SMT, RT XL are the only one mentioned.
>> are there other SmartUPS models that either use microlink but provides a
>> minimal set of data, or units still using the old protocol?
>>
>> anyone that can help clarifying this, preferably with a wrap-up, is very
>> welcome to do so!
> [...]

I've checked the manpage, and it already includes this info.
can you please make a patch for data/driver.list , mentioning these info?
ideally, the driver.list should be something like:

"APC"    "ups"    "1"    "Smart-UPS SMT"    "newer models (with RJ45),
require AP9620 serial card"    "apcsmart"

... same for SMX and RTD

thanks,
Arnaud
--