[Nut-upsuser] Eaton 5PX and Nuts - Ethernet connectivity?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 03:40:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

We're looking at getting a UPS to provide backup power for a Dell R610 and
a 48-port Gigabit switch.

The model we're thinking of getting is the Eaton 5PX 1500 VA:

http://powerquality.eaton.com/5PX1500iRT.aspx?GUID=3EADEC2A-F2DC-405B-9039-B7EA985469EC

I had a search of the NUTS HCL:

http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html?manufacturer=Eaton&model=5%20PX

and it lists the 5 PX (USB Port) and 5 PX (Serial Port) as being supported,
via usbhid-ups and mgr-shut respectively.

However, I'd prefer to use Ethernet support, using the Eaton Network
Card-MS:

http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Power-Management/Connectivity/Network-MS.asp

Does anybody happen to know if Ethernet with Eaton devices is supported in
NUTS, or how you'd get it working?

As well as the shutdown behaviour, we're also keen to monitor various
metrics, like voltage/frequency etc. - is that possible via NUTS as well?

If the Eaton 5PX doesn't work well with NUTS, the alternative UPS we could
get is the APC Smart-UPS 1500VA:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua1500rmi2u

with a AP9631 network card:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP9631

Can anybody comment if the APC support in NUTS is more solid?

The HCL does list the APC Smart-UPS:

http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html?manufacturer=APC&model=Smart-UPS

but doesn't specify anything about Ethernet support.

Cheers,
Victor

PS: As a side-note, I noticed the HCL webpage doesn't seem to update the
URL as you select different options - not sure if that's a bug?

This is on Chrome v45, on OSX.