[Nut-upsuser] Eaton 5PX and Nuts - Ethernet connectivity?

Chris Boot bootc at bootc.net
Mon Jul 27 08:09:27 UTC 2015

On 27/07/15 04:40, Victor Hooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're looking at getting a UPS to provide backup power for a Dell R610
> and a 48-port Gigabit switch.
>
> The model we're thinking of getting is the Eaton 5PX 1500 VA:

[snip]

> However, I'd prefer to use Ethernet support, using the Eaton Network
> Card-MS:
>
> http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Power-Management/Connectivity/Network-MS.asp
>
> Does anybody happen to know if Ethernet with Eaton devices is supported
> in NUTS, or how you'd get it working?

Hi Victor,

First of all it's NUT not NUTS :-)

I'm using a NETWORK-MS network card in an Eaton 9130i. I'm not surprised
the 5PX doesn't show up in the HCL under Ethernet as the behaviour of
the network card governs the compatibility, rather than what the UPS
itself provides.

The NETWORK-MS card works fine with the NUT snmp-ups driver. Shutdown
behaviour is good as long as you remember to make sure your switch is
also on the UPS, but it sounds like you've got that covered (yes, oops,
been there done that).

I have mine configured like this in ups.conf:

[pw9130]
driver = snmp-ups
port = [SNIP]
community = public
snmp_version = v1
pollfreq = 15

When I query NUT for UPS info it returns the following:

ambient.humidity: 0.00
ambient.temperature: 0.0
battery.charge: 100.00
battery.charge.low: 20
battery.runtime: 6746.00
battery.runtime.low: 180.00
battery.voltage: 104.00
device.mfr: Eaton
device.model: PW9130 3000VA-T
device.serial: [SNIP]
device.type: ups
driver.name: snmp-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 15
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: [SNIP]
driver.parameter.snmp_version: v1
driver.version: 2.7.2
driver.version.data: mge MIB 0.5
driver.version.internal: 0.72
input.phases: 1.00
input.transfer.reason:
outlet.desc: Main Outlet
outlet.id: 0
output.current: 3.00
output.frequency: 50.00
output.phases: 1.00
output.voltage: 230.00
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.firmware: 1.29
ups.firmware.aux: JB
ups.load: 30.00
ups.mfr: Eaton
ups.model: PW9130 3000VA-T
ups.serial: [SNIP]
ups.start.auto: no
ups.status: OL
ups.test.result: done and passed
ups.timer.reboot: -1.00
ups.timer.shutdown: -1.00
ups.timer.start: -1.00

I get a lot more info straight over SNMP, which I'm monitoring with
Nagios and logging/graphing with Cacti.

HTH,
Chris

--