[Nut-upsuser] Best Power FE700VA?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 02:16:45 UTC 2018

On Feb 19, 2018, at 3:44 PM, David Melik wrote:

> Minicom listed a blank modem init string, and 'f' did nothing.

Do you have a pinout for that cable?

I forget if it is the default, but you might need to turn off the hardware and software flow control (minicom: Ctrl-A then letter O, "Serial port setup"). I would also recommend double-checking the serial port name (sometimes motherboards swap the headers around).

That said, if you have a maintenance window, it may be worth trying the bestfcom driver directly. It will set up all of the serial port parameters, and attempt to get an identification string.

I'm not sure if this is the recommended place to get NUT for Slackware, but this looks promising: https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/nut/

For testing, you only need to do the first two steps (through "usermod -a -G dialout nut") after building. Then, add a section to ups.conf that looks like this:

[ups]
	driver = bestfcom
	port = /dev/ttyS0 ### replace with the actual serial port name.

Then you can launch the driver with at least one "-D" flag:

/usr/libexec/nut/bestfcom -a ups -D