[Nut-upsuser] Best Power FE700VA?

Stuart Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Tue Feb 13 17:52:34 UTC 2018

On 02/12/2018 11:53 PM, David Melik wrote:

> Of course, I got Eaton Powerware's RS-232 cable for FE700VA/etc. but
> don't know what 'hook up a terminal emulator'... no Slackware
> GNU/Linux BASH command 'f,' or do I run (or install/compile) a certain
> program to enable/access that?
The classic terminal emulator is 'cu': http://www.airs.com/ian/uucp.html
RedHat and Fedora have a package for it.

I rolled my own with special features to handle file transfers to
mini-computers that can't turn off echo...

There are other packages like minicom, kermit, etc, that support more
advanced file transfer over serial lines.  But the file transfer
features are irrelevant to talking to a UPS.  Serial communication can
be quickly jury rigged in an apocalypse - unlike ethernet, USB, and
other modern (and much faster) wire protocols.  Keep such software
archived.  Note that even if computers no longer come with UARTs, you
can still do serial communication with digital input/output and a timer
interrupt.  (I found 3 DI samples per bit time works reliably.)

I have a real wyse60 CRT terminal if you are interested.  :-)

Once you connect to the serial port with your terminal emulator at the
proper baud rate, it is like a shell prompt - except the UPS has only a
few one letter commands.