[PKG-OpenRC-Debian] Installing openrc

heroxbd at gentoo.org heroxbd at gentoo.org
Fri Oct 3 00:01:47 UTC 2014

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx at thregr.org> writes:

> In my case policykit-1 is dragged in by colord, which I'm using with
> xiccd. libpam-systemd is also required by lightdm (though this would be
> easier to substitute with a different package).

lightdm depends on consolekit or libpam-systemd, AFAIK.

>> That's bug 761088,
>>
>>     https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761088
>>
>> Your concern will be more heard there.
>
> I noticed, but somehow saw it listed as "wishlist", that combined with
> decision of Debian of adopting systemd as a standard init made me
> unsure.

If you think the bug is more severe than wishlist, feel free to change
it to "normal" or "important" and communicate to the maintainer why you
think so.  That's what the bugzilla designed to be.

systemd becomes the default init, at the same time, other init must be
supported.

>> That's a sad situation, although having systemd library around is not
>> that bad if it has a well-defined API and functionality.
>
> There's also an increasing number of packages shipping with systemd's
> service files, which at some point will probably drop the traditional
> sysv scripts.

It won't happen soon.  Even if it happens, sysv scripts can be added
back if someone else is willing to maintain it.

> I have some hopes in "uselessd", if they can keep up and develop a
> drop-in replacement.

I read through their page, sounds interesting!

Cheers,
Benda