[Openstack-devel] OpenStack Fundation

Loic Dachary loic at dachary.org
Mon Feb 6 23:28:08 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 08:58 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 07:49:32AM +0100, Loic Dachary wrote:
>> I attended the OpenStack distribution panel in the name of the Debian
>> GNU/Linux packaging team
>>
>> https://alioth.debian.org/projects/openstack/
>>
>> Stefano Maffulli said he talked to you about the involvement of Debian
>> GNU/Linux / SPI. We would be happy to participate in the discussion.
> I'm in contact with Stefano, but rather to work on some public statement
> we're working on together (see the archives of the debian-publicity
> mailing list for some references).
I would be grateful if you could link a specific post. I looked for Maffulli in the jan / feb archives without success.
>  We've not discussed the specific
> topic of the OpenStack foundation as of yet. But I'm surely interested
> to know more about that topic and on which kind of additional
> collaboration with (community) distributions OpenStack is interested in.
A few weeks ago I discussed the idea that a cross distribution group is formed within OpenStack, much in the same way development teams are currently organized. It was decided that there is no need for a formal team and that cooperation should be organized outside of the influence of the OpenStack governance.

During FOSDEM we had a chance to discuss during the panel chaired by Thierry Carrez (openstack release manager) and I'm hopefull that work can be done with Ubuntu as well as Fedora and OpenSuse. OpenStack is a large project and packaging it in a consistent way required (and will require in the future) close cooperation, both cross distribution and with the upstream.

I will attend the OpenStack Design Summit in April ( http://www.openstack.org/conference/san-francisco-2012/ ) and I hope it will be an occasion to maintain a close and productive relationship with the upstream. My primary goal will be to explain, as clearly as I can, the requirements of Debian GNU/Linux for packaging OpenStack. Our work is much easier when the upstream is aware of our needs. A little evangelism at the early stages of this project may make a significant difference in the future.

At FOSDEM I talked about the making of the OpenStack foundation with Stefano Maffulli and my understaning is that it's happening. Nothing seems to be carved in stone yet and maybe SPI can be a founding member. I don't think that would require a financial contribution since SPI is a non profit. What do you think ? I can try to find out more if you like.

Cheers