[Openstack-devel] GSoC Debian OpenStack
loic at enovance.com
Tue Feb 28 09:07:16 UTC 2012
On 02/27/2012 06:23 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> I propose to submit the following to recruit developers to help out:
> as instructed on
> We're working on a hot topic, there is a good chance this will attract students.
> What do you think ?
Amended with Thomas and Alexey suggestions on documentation to make it part of the deliverables. Also clarify the deliverables.
'''Package an OpenStack use case'''
* Debian GNU/Linux could become a leader in the cloud. The http://openstack.org/ cloud software suite is state of the art and Free Software. The first stable OpenStack release published in April 2012 is made of many parts: it is a challenge to package. A team was organized in 2011 to initiate the packaging work : https://alioth.debian.org/projects/openstack/ . However, it will take more than a few motivated individuals to meet the expectations of the system administrators using Debian GNU/Linux. You could be part of this unique opportunity to shape the future of cloud computing. The members of the OpenStack packaging team are experienced system administrators from Europe, North America and Asia : literally working 24/24 ;-) They invite you to join them to polish an easy to install set of packages so that anyone can deploy and use a cloud infrastructure within hours.
* '''Confirmed Mentor''': Loïc Dachary
* '''How to contact the mentor:''' loicd on irc.oftc.net#debian-openstack
* '''Confirmed co-mentors:''' Ghe Rivero and Thomas Goirand
* '''Deliverables of the project''':
* OpenStack packages implementing the use case proposed by the student in his application. Debian GNU/Linux should address all imaginable use cases, but it should do so in a simple and straightforward maner.
* An example use case is : I have two machines. I install OpenStack packages and answer a few interactive questions. I run a VM. I login to the VM.
* The student would first document the use case into a HOWTO with manual steps. Example for the above use case : http://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackHowto?action=recall&rev=10
* After this intermediate deliverable is approved by the mentor, the student will proceed by implementing the use case so that the HOWTO is no longer necessary. In other words he translates the HOWTO into a proper set of Debian packages or modifies the existing Debian packages
* The deliverables will be tested by a continuous integration tool. and checked for clear documentation and robustness.
* '''Desirable skills''': Debian packaging, python development, system administration, networking.
* '''What the student will learn:''' Debian GNU/Linux packaging techniques involving the most advanced system administration topics. Operate a cloud single from top to bottom using state of the art software. Contribute to one of the largest Free Software community.
Loïc Dachary Chief Research Officer
// eNovance labs http://labs.enovance.com
// ✉ loic at enovance.com ☎ +33 1 49 70 99 82
More information about the Openstack-devel