[parted-devel] Re: parted port to FreeBSD

Viktor Vasilev viktor.vasilev at stud.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun May 21 22:10:07 UTC 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 05:54 Harley D. Eades III wrote:
> Viktor Vasilev <viktor.vasilev at stud.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
> > On Sunday 21 May 2006 19:36 Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > I putted your patches in 1.7.0 package for Debian and now we might
> > > try to have it in upstream release ASAP.
> > >
> > > What's the progress of problems about copyright assigments that
> > > Leslie asked about?
> >
> > I have a newer patch, that among other enhancements, doesn't have
> > foreign code. There are other FreeBSD-specific problems that I'm trying
> > to figure out right now and I'm not sure if the patch in it's present
> > form is ready to go upstream yet. It can be found here (p5):
> >
> >   http://0xdeadc0de.net/v/parted/
>
> All in all I think the patch looks pretty good.  What FreeBSD specific
> problems are you having?

The code in _kernel_reread_part_table() wasn't able to make GEOM reread the
new MBR. It seems that FreeBSD fdisk also has this problem, and the patch
includes a workaround: close the disk device handle before committing the
MBR and reopen it afterwards. Scott Ullrich pointed out a PR which reports
this problem in fdisk:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/90093

and also the workaround used in pfSense:

http://cvs.pfsense.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/tools/patches/fdisk.c.diff?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

Cheers,
Vik
--
PGP Key: 0xE09DC8D8/6799 4011 EBDE 6412 05A1 090C DBDF 5887 E09D C8D8
Signed/encrypted mail welcome!