[parted-devel] md blacklisting breaks Debian installer RAID support

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 24 11:52:26 UTC 2009

The blacklisting of md devices in
http://git.debian.org/?p=parted/parted.git;a=commit;h=f94e08bdb4ba0fa1b9fd35509e04c2d9ee84ff80
breaks RAID support in the Debian installer, because we're expecting to
be able to walk all devices libparted knows about and find /dev/md0 etc.
after setting up arrays. While we don't actually want to attempt to put
partition tables on these devices, it's still useful to have libparted
recognise these devices; there are things it can do other than creating
partition tables ...

How about this patch instead (against next, but should be pretty close
to master as well)? We use "loop" labels as fake partition tables for
things that are essentially just a single filesystem directly on a
disk-like block device, so it makes sense never to apply partition table
changes to those.

Thanks,