[Pbuilder-maint] Re: using cow-shell to build a package

Michael Hanke michael.hanke at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 19:17:46 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:21:51PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

<snip>

> > > I also didn't use the A hook, only the pre-build hook and
> > > build-failed/build-success hook (sorry, don't remember the hook letters
> > > anymore)
> > The A hooks are called after all dependencies are installed on the source
> > package is unpackaged, so this should be the prebuild hook.
> >

> Note that hook example files are available in /usr/share/doc/pbuilder/examples
> which you could even point to it using
>
> cowbuilder --build --hookdir /usr/share/doc/pbuilder/examples XXX.dsc
>
> to see the full extent of current available hooks.  If you had looked
> at C10shell hook, it would have been obvious...
True. Meanwhile I studied the provided examples ;-)

> BTW, I like your idea of using A hooks to do it.
> I presume you're doing something like
>
> 	pdebuild -- --hookdir XXXX --bindmount $(pwd)/.. --pbuilder cowbuilder
Almost. ;-)

I'm writing a remote frontend for pbuilder. It handles exporting source
packages from svn-buildpackage repositories and/or applies
distribution-specific patches to ease backporting. It also handles versions
mangling for backports (with recently became much easier, thanks to ~).

Modified or unmodified source packages are then uploaded to a remote
build machine and pbuilder is invoked on that machine. Afterwards build
results are downloaded.

I wrote this, because I have a single machine in our lab that runs
pbuilder and has a number of basetgzs on it -- for all dists (sarge, etch,
breezy and dapper) and platforms (i386 and amd64) we have in our lab.
I found no tool that could recompile a downloaded source
package for a certain distribution, so I tried to write my own.

Meanwhile it works pretty well. But quite often a simple recompile for backports
fails (mostly because of simple dependency issues). I'm currently adding a
--{pre|post}build-login option to my script that allows for interactive
logins on the buildmachine to handle such issues. The script generates
the necessary hook script by itself.

Cheers,

Michael

--