[Pbuilder-maint] Re: remote pbuilder front-end

Michael Hanke michael.hanke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:48:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 07:00:36AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I'm Cc'ing pbuilder-maint since it might be of interest to others.
>
> > I wrote a remote frontend for pbuilder to facilitate backporting packages to
> > several distributions. Mainly because we have a single powerful machine
> > in our lab, pbuilder-ssh communicates via ssh with a remote installation
> > of pbuilder.
> >
> > I wrapped the script into a native Debian package and uploaded it to
> > mentors.d.n. I'd be glad if you would have a look at it and tell me your
> > oppinion.
> >
> > http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=pbuilder-ssh
> >
> > The docs are not yet completed, but there is an initial manpage in the
> > package.
>

> A few comments:
>
> 1. it might be better to just include it in pbuilder package, rather
>    than adding another package. I'll add you to pbuilder alioth group
>    if you're interested.
You're right. It would be nice to include it in the pbuilder package.
I'd be glad if you could add me to the alioth group. My username is
'mhanke-guest'.

> 2. Since it's an add-on to pbuilder, it's nicer to follow the same
>    naming convention as pbuilder. (/etc/pbuilder-ssh.rc ->
>    /etc/pbuilder/XXX)
Now that it goes into the pbuilder package I will fix that.

> 3. I don't particularly know help2man, is there a reason you are using
>    it?
I think it is a convenient way to provide a manpage without having to
maintain one. If I add/modify anything I just adapt the docs in the
script and help2man cares for the rest. Otherwise I would have to edit
an additional file.

Cheers,

Michael

--