'd-p1' can handle lenny-backports jaunty-proposed ... w/o preload

Osamu Aoki osamu at debian.org
Sun Jan 24 14:48:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 03:03:44PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > I have used this with --aptconf and verified doing so can even load
> > backports.org without GPG issue.
>
>  Not sure what you mean here.

1. import backports.org archive key to my normal apt-keys
2. copy /etc/apt/ to /foo/
3. remove everything but trustdb.* to make /foo/trustdb.* only.
4. "pbuilder --create -p foo -d lenny-backports --aptconf /foo"

--aptconf will copy trustdb.* to chroot and accessing backports will not error.

> > I tried to make special release names as configurable by using
> > pbuilderrc file defining them.  Of course, use of eval with "case ...
> > esac" made code a bit difficult to read.
>
>  I'm not sure I see why you use eval here?

case "foo" in
foo|bar)
        echo foo-or-bar
        ;;
esac

This output "foo-or-bar"

FOOBAR="foo|bar"
case foo in
$FOOBAR)
        echo foo-or-bar
        ;;
esac

This output nothing.

FOOBAR="foo|bar"
case "foo|bar" in
$FOOBAR)
        echo foo-or-bar
        ;;
esac

This output "foo-or-bar"

Using "eval" is needed to enable splitting choices with |.

>  I'm a bit uneasy about using "--distribution jaunty-updates" and the
>  like to mean "jaunty + jaunty-updates".  This seems overloaded in
>  meaning and diverges from setting a single distribution.  Perhaps it's
>  a naming issue, would it be --apt-template, things would be clearer,
>  but pbuilder supported --distribution experimental since a long time,
>  it wouldn't be nice to change that.  I'm a bit uneasy about this.  I'd
>  love if we could find a good approach to avoid this.

My rationale were:

one wants to compile package for some proposed-archive or
security-archive while using all the updated backage as its parents and
supplimented with base distribution via APT while it needs to be created
by debootstrap using its base distribution.

It is easier to explain with a table.

 --distribution option   debootstrap          APT line
 target distribution(T)  base distribution(B) T+B
 $DISTRIBUTION           $DISTRIBUTION_BASE

 jaunty-updates          jaunty               jaunty-updates jaunty
 lenny-proposed-...      lenny                lenny-proposed-...  lenny
 lenny                   lenny                lenny

If you have clearler naming convention, let me know.

Osamu