pbuilder-apt-config

Osamu Aoki osamu at debian.org
Tue Jan 26 12:13:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have seen your code.

In short, it is moving right direction.  You have covered all required
archives.  (It was bad idea of me to include archive.debian.org in my script.)

1. how do we separate data from script?
   issue:  data = URL, distribution name
           my pbuilderrc like approach makes hard to read
           case ... esac etc.
   answer1: Make /etc/pbuilder/pbuilder-apt-config override
                /usr/lib/pbuilder-apt-config
   answer2: Use ugly eval "case ...esac" and set key parametres in
            pbuilderrc

2. how do we respect user's choice of Debian archive.
   answer: Creation of DEBIAN_MIRROR as I did and use of it in
           pbuilder-apt-config etc.  (Read below for additional
           thoughts)

...(read on)
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:47:12PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > The more I think about it ...
> > Something like
> > --vender:       short name for mirror (ubuntu/debian/backports/volatile)
> > --distribution: for debootstrap and base apt line
> > --target:       for autogeneration of extra apt line
>
>  Eh almost what I used; I didn't allow setting "vendor" (I later renamed
>  it to "archive" because we want one for ubuntu-ports, another one for
>  debian-archive (archive.debian.org) etc.).
>    Next I used "suite" to match debootstrap.  Finally, I used --profile,
>  but this is a pbuilder-apt-config specific concept, not related to
>  pbuilder profile.

I see.  I have no problem using target archive "profile" in
pbuilder-apt-config as long as pbuilder uses dfferent name for the local
chroot "profle".  Confusing terminology is bad for the user.

>  Would you mind having a look at the test cases + tool I've now updated?

One thing I noticed:  this is your code and coding style is quite
different from the rest of pbuilder.   quite readable.

>  It allows:
>  ./pbuilder-apt-config --profile experimental apt-sources
>  And some more (see test_pbuilder-apt-config and ./pbuilder-apt-config
>  --help).

You may think about <action> debootstrap-component to be complete.

That spits out list of component with "debootstrap-component=all"
 Debian: "main contrib non-free"
 Ubuntu: "main restricted universe multiverse"

with "debootstrap-component=1"
 Debian: "main"
 Ubuntu: "main"

>  I'm thinking a bit more about a nice mirror map interface.

debconf generates DEBIAN_MIRROR (instead of MIRROR) in my
debian/pbuilder.config

I wonder how it fits into Ubuntu version.  Maybe I should have done as
HOST_MIRROR and HOST_TYPE.  Then overriding it becomes generic.

I think at least you need to move URL to pbuilderrc.  People may wish to
use local (proxy) cache URL.

Osamu