RFH: Perl

Guy Hulbert ghperl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 13:58:31 UTC 2009

Niko.

As I said previously, I will try to write once a week.

I think the most useful thing I could do at the moment is to create diary
pages along with the howto documentation for the list.  I figured out
how to use the alioth web space so I'll start there.  I'll summarize both
lists (this and debian-perl) and I'll let dwn know about it.

I tried using 'cdebootstrap' on etch but discovered that it is woefully out
of date - it does not know about lenny and sid died with an error.  I'll
look
at the error but it seems pointless trying to fix it as apart from perl,
I am
more interested in the stable distribution.

I set up a chroot successfully in the past but never used it much.  I was
hoping to get started more quickly.  I want to do some packaging of
my own plus for one other project, so this is not something that I'll drop
but it may take me more than a week to get it going.

I will continue to read the list at least once a day.  A few items below.

Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 03:53:13PM -0500, Guy Hulbert wrote:
>
> what is the job to do here.  I see:
>
> - import and tag each new stable perl release
> - following each debian release, cut a new testing branch
> - fix bugs
> - improve the package
>

> Yes, the 3rd and to a lesser amount the 4th item are the most work :)
>
> The area we're currently doing worst is clearly bug handling. If you want
> to help with it, you need to learn how to use the Debian BTS. You don't

I hate BTS but I haven't used it much.  I will start on that then.
> need the alioth account for that, it's all driven by email and there
> are no (technical) access controls.
>
> The Debian Developer's Reference is probably a good place to start.

I read it in the past but I clearly need to read it again (slowly :-)

> I just turned (silent) moderation on for non-subscriber posts, that
> should improve things.
>
> If somebody wants to help with the moderation, I'll happily share the
> list admin password.

When I get up to speed.

>> Is Brendan still the maintainer ?
>>

> Yes, at least a co-maintainer [2], but he certainly has the seniority here

--gh