scheduling 5.10.1-12

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah at jeremiahfoster.com
Thu Apr 8 21:45:25 UTC 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 23:11, Niko Tyni wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:41:08PM +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
>
>> I'm happy to help - what exactly should I do? I will clone from git
>> and try to build in squeeze, but aside from that I fear my experience
>> is limited. Is there a test suite I could try? Or perhaps I'll run some
>> old scripts I have lying around.
>
> Just verifying that the new package can be installed/upgraded OK goes
> a long way. I've got some hooks in my build scripts to test that in
> a clean chroot, but it may work differently for real systems.

I've just tested on a pretty dirty system. :)

I've checked out the source and run 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot. I get an error however:

dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: source package perl
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 5.10.1-12
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Niko Tyni <ntyni at debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture i386
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
In file included from <stdin>:1:
./patchlevel.h:128:25: error: git_version.h: No such file or directory
In file included from <stdin>:1:
./patchlevel.h:128:25: error: git_version.h: No such file or directory
In file included from <stdin>:1:
./patchlevel.h:128:25: error: git_version.h: No such file or directory
In file included from <stdin>:1:
./patchlevel.h:128:25: error: git_version.h: No such file or directory
In file included from <stdin>:1:
./patchlevel.h:128:25: error: git_version.h: No such file or directory
In file included from <stdin>:1:
./patchlevel.h:128:25: error: git_version.h: No such file or directory
test -d debian
test `id -u` -eq 0
test -f debian/patches/series	# maintainer sanity check
make: *** [clean] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit status 2

> Double checking that I got the version number changes in debian/control
> right would be appreciated.

That is the longest debian/control file I have ever seen!

> Full testing for the @INC change would be to install an XS module from CPAN
> on Lenny so it goes to /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0, then upgrading
> to squeeze or sid, verifying that the module is not on @INC anymore,
> and then installing the new package and verifying that it's visible
> and working again.

Haven't gotten this far I'm afraid. :-/

> Obviously, shortcuts can be taken.
>
> RL got in the way of a Thursday upload happening. I hope to find the
> time this weekend.

I hope to be available this weekend too.

Jeremiah