Questions Re sql-ledger debian package

Izzy Blacklock izzyb at bnsnet.ca
Thu Feb 18 17:34:27 UTC 2010

Thanks Raphael,

I'll see what I can shake loose on the sql-ledger side of things.  I
have to admit I don't fully understand the problem and don't know the
sql-ledger code base enough to really be much help on this myself.
Dieter (the lead developer for SQL-Ledger) seems to think this is a perl
bug, but in the chat's I've had in #perl channels, threads support as it
is now is here to stay and if it breaks code, that code needs to be
updated to compensate. Since I don't understand the problem myself, I'm
not sure who is right. :(  I don't think threads are in use in
sql-ledger, so I'm not sure why its inclusion would trigger a bug.

At the end of the day, I need a functioning sql-ledger and right know it
looks like that means I need to compile perl without threads.  According
to Dieter this is a problem for other projects as well, so maybe there
is a need to provide a debian package of perl without threads.  I know
perl is used all over the place in a Debian system, so I'm not sure if
doing so will break other things.  This is frankly a problem beyond my
ability, but I'd be more then happy to do some testing.  I may even be
able to provide a test system or a reproducible test case.

Dieter, perhaps you could shed some more light on the details of the
problem.  Is there an open perl bug that you could point to?  Do you
have a reproducible test case?  Could you provide a list of other
projects affected?

Thanks everyone for your help in resolving this.  I don't think it makes
sense for Debian to be distributing a broken package in stable which I
believe is currently the case with the sql-ledger package in Lenny.  If
the only short term solution is to provide a threads free version of
perl, is that doable?

...Izzy