Packages broken by perl 5.12

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Mon May 16 11:48:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:14:12PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 03:37:20PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > That's a really good point. We need to keep a close eye on packages
> > being fixed for deprecations in 5.12 which turn out to be fatal in
> > 5.14 (I haven't digested all of current perldelta yet to know if there
> > are any examples of this)
>
> I've read through the perldelta for 5.14.0, and can't find anything
> significant to worry about in this category.

That still leaves the modules deprecated in 5.12 (Class::ISA,
Pod::Plainer, and Switch.)

Any packages in squeeze using those will break if perl is upgraded to
5.14 first, unless we leave a dependency in place for one release cycle.

Reviewing #580034, there are probably about 30-40 such packages. They
would make a rather long Breaks: list.

Not sure if just Recommending the separate packages is enough to
remove the need for Breaks: entries.
Niko Tyni   ntyni at debian.org