Handling deprecated modules

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Mon May 16 22:19:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 02:48:01PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> That still leaves the modules deprecated in 5.12 (Class::ISA,
> Pod::Plainer, and Switch.)
>
> Any packages in squeeze using those will break if perl is upgraded to
> 5.14 first, unless we leave a dependency in place for one release cycle.
>
> Reviewing #580034, there are probably about 30-40 such packages. They
> would make a rather long Breaks: list.
>
> Not sure if just Recommending the separate packages is enough to
> remove the need for Breaks: entries.

I don't think it is. If we're going to care about partial upgrades
at all, we may as well make them work robustly, and turn those
relationships into Depends. I'm happy to do that for wheezy.
Thanks for the reminder about that bug; the list of affected packages
there is bigger than the list I've filed bugs for based on my
rebuild logs. I've added a task to the wiki to check these again and
file bugs where needed.

It may be that we can leave libpod-plainer-perl at Recommends of
course (or for that matter drop it down to Suggests).

Yet to analyze: Devel::Dprof and Perl4::CoreLibs. Assuming that wheezy
releases with 5.14 and not 5.16, if we catch all uses of these before
wheezy releases, we won't need to add Depends in wheezy+1 (but this
assumption may turn out to be invalid).

Dominic.