perl_5.14.0-1_i386.changes is NEW

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl tolimar at debian.org
Tue May 24 09:50:24 UTC 2011

Hi!

Am 21.05.2011 08:37, schrieb Niko Tyni:

>>   * Totally rework debian/copyright.
> Hi FTP masters,
>
> as you can see, I did a full license review of Perl for this release.
> Happily I found very few problems.

Many thanks for your work, and for bringing it to our attention.

> I'm a bit uneasy with the licensing of
>  pod/perlembed.pod
>  pod/perlmodinstall.pod
> which seems to imply that the document title (and, less importantly,
> author information) is an invariant section that can't be modified.
>
> Is this something that needs to be fixed? Please note that it's been
> like this since at least 1998, so this is not a regression.
>
> I'm pasting the full license for your convenience:
>
>   Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
>   documentation provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
>   preserved on all copies.
>
>   Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
>   documentation under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided also
>   that they are marked clearly as modified versions, that the authors'
>   names and title are unchanged (though subtitles and additional
>   authors' names may be added), and that the entire resulting derived
>   work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical
>   to this one.
>
>   Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this
>   documentation into another language, under the above conditions for
>   modified versions.
>
> Thanks for all the work you do for Debian!

Hmmm... I don't think the restriction of the author is a problematic;
it's quite similar to restrictions regarding license header and a like.
 However, the title restriction is different, and does has practical
affects (e.g. when translating a document).  Could you please ask
upstream, to drop that restriction?  We don't consider it a big problem
(hence I accepted it), but it would be nice to be solved, though.

Best regards,
  Alexander