Non-XS packages with perl 5.12/5.14 bugs fixed

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Thu Feb 9 21:24:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:03:47PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> It just occurred to me that perl should probably Break any non-XS package
> which had an update to fix compatibility with perl 5.12 or perl 5.14,
> to help with partial upgrades from squeeze to wheezy.

I think that should take into account the actual level of brokenness.
For instance, test suite only updates like #636520 that don't affect
runtime don't need to be included. Updates that only fix warnings are
probably in the same category.

> I don't believe that we've systematically done this, although we
> certainly do Break some. The usertags should make it quite easy to
> get a list.

Even with the list, it's still quite a lot of work :)

> Am I forgetting something?

I'm not sure how well apt and its alternatives deal with large numbers
of Breaks entries on upgrades. My guess is that they aren't a problem
(although corresponding Conflicts entries would be), but that should be
checked before Breaking squeeze packages by the dozen.
--
Niko