Non-XS packages with perl 5.12/5.14 bugs fixed

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Sun Feb 12 18:46:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:24:43PM +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:03:47PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > It just occurred to me that perl should probably Break any non-XS package
> > which had an update to fix compatibility with perl 5.12 or perl 5.14,
> > to help with partial upgrades from squeeze to wheezy.
>
> I think that should take into account the actual level of brokenness.
> For instance, test suite only updates like #636520 that don't affect
> runtime don't need to be included. Updates that only fix warnings are
> probably in the same category.
>
> > I don't believe that we've systematically done this, although we
> > certainly do Break some. The usertags should make it quite easy to
> > get a list.
>
> Even with the list, it's still quite a lot of work :)
>
> > Am I forgetting something?
>
> I'm not sure how well apt and its alternatives deal with large numbers
> of Breaks entries on upgrades. My guess is that they aren't a problem
> (although corresponding Conflicts entries would be), but that should be
> checked before Breaking squeeze packages by the dozen.

I went through the list today. The complete set of qualification
criteria, and list of Breaks I plan to add (and the relevant bug
number), is below:

- arch: all
- in squeeze and wheezy
- runtime
- unfixed in squeeze
- doesn't already have Breaks

578934 libhtml-template-compiled-perl (<< 0.95-1)
582738 libperl-apireference-perl (<< 0.09-1)
626987 dh-make-perl (<< 0.73-1)
636517 libregexp-optimizer-perl (<< 0.15-3)
629295 libxml-parser-lite-tree-perl (<< 0.14-1)
629297 libyaml-perl (<< 0.73-1)
629299 libload-perl (<< 0.20-1)
636276 libsoap-lite-perl (<< 0.712-4)
636390 libnet-jifty-perl (<< 0.14-1)

Note to self: should check whether there are any stale Breaks/Conflicts
or versioned Depends/Recommends/Suggests to tidy up from debian/control.