5.14.3 and wheezy

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Sun Oct 21 09:32:06 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:17:46PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> assuming that it's too late to get all of 5.14.3 in wheezy, I had a look
> at its changelog to find any candidates for cherry-picking.

Thanks for this!

> The obvious ones I found are regressions from squeeze:
> #629363, #690975, #690976, and #690979
>
> I'd probably leave these out:
>  - perlcheat was updated to 5.14.
>  - The smartmatch operator ("~~") was changed so that the right-hand
>      side takes precedence during "Any ~~ Object" operations.
>  - Module::CoreList has been updated to version 2.49_04 to add data for this release.
>  - The system gcc (rather than any other gcc which might be in
>     the compiling user's path) is now used when searching for libraries
>     such as "-lm".
>
> but I'm a bit undecided particularly on the two first ones.
> Input welcome.

I was unsure about the smartmatch operator thing too, but after reviewing
the justification for its inclusion in the thread starting

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2011/07/msg174260.html

I think I would vote for its inclusion; it's fixing a misfeature
(compared to the docs) in a not-often used corner of the syntax; it's
been fixed in upstream 5.14 and up; I think we should fix it in Debian
sooner rather than later, on the principle of least surprise.

perlcheat I have no strong views on. Doc fixes qualify during a freeze,
so on those grounds there should be no problems with including this,
but then again perlcheat is something which can easily be found on the
web.