perl 5.18 progress

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Sun May 19 17:38:57 UTC 2013

On Sun, 19 May 2013 15:47:02 +0300
Niko Tyni <ntyni at debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 12:49:50PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
>
> > I guess we're not quite in a position to estimate when a perl 5.18 might
> > happen, but it is probably worth talking about when we want to file
> > a transition bug (sooner rather than later?)
>
> We could ask the release team which way they prefer it?
>
> > and also whether there are
> > any other changes (multiarch being the obvious) we would like to make
> > part of the transition.
>
> Ow. The multiarch stuff is kind of stalled. Given Guillem's cautionary
> advice, I don't really know how to proceed with it. I'm sort of waiting
> to see what happens with python.
>
> So I wouldn't like that to block 5.18.
>
> On the other changes, maybe Neil Williams [cc'd] would like to get some
> of the perl-cross-debian stuff in before an upload to unstable?

Thanks, the actual cache files for 5.18 need a bit longer (generally
once 5.18 has actually built for armel) but I should get time to do
some armhf tests on 5.18 cache files this week.

I'm still working with upstream on the XS problems and the ugliness of
the cross-build support is currently still needed.

I've tested this patch for debian/rules for 5.18 with a native build:

https://github.com/codehelp/perl-cross-debian/tree/master/patches/5.18/debian
https://github.com/codehelp/perl-cross-debian/blob/master/patches/5.18/debian/rules
https://github.com/codehelp/perl-cross-debian/blob/master/patches/5.18/debian/rules.diff

If you are happy to use these changes, it will help with
perl-cross-debian but the upstream changes for Makefile.SH and the
copying around of the extensions are issues yet to be fixed.

Further changes would be needed for Multi-Arch and those patches are in
perl-cross-debian too, based on the Ubuntu package.

I'd like to see debian/rules gain this support as the changes to
Makefile.SH can be more easily applied using the existing patch
support. It is a wishlist item though, the complete 5.18 cross-build
isn't ready yet, let alone tested.

--

Neil Williams