perl 5.18 progress

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Sat May 25 17:11:33 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 06:38:57PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Thanks, the actual cache files for 5.18 need a bit longer (generally
> once 5.18 has actually built for armel) but I should get time to do
> some armhf tests on 5.18 cache files this week.
>
> I'm still working with upstream on the XS problems and the ugliness of
> the cross-build support is currently still needed.
>
> I've tested this patch for debian/rules for 5.18 with a native build:
>
> https://github.com/codehelp/perl-cross-debian/tree/master/patches/5.18/debian
> https://github.com/codehelp/perl-cross-debian/blob/master/patches/5.18/debian/rules
> https://github.com/codehelp/perl-cross-debian/blob/master/patches/5.18/debian/rules.diff
>
> If you are happy to use these changes, it will help with
> perl-cross-debian but the upstream changes for Makefile.SH and the
> copying around of the extensions are issues yet to be fixed.
>
> Further changes would be needed for Multi-Arch and those patches are in
> perl-cross-debian too, based on the Ubuntu package.
>
> I'd like to see debian/rules gain this support as the changes to
> Makefile.SH can be more easily applied using the existing patch
> support. It is a wishlist item though, the complete 5.18 cross-build
> isn't ready yet, let alone tested.

Okay; it sounds like in any case there is no need to bind this change
with the main transition. I think I'd have a slight preference for
keeping the cross-changes out of tree until they are completely ready,
but this isn't a strong preference and I certainly wouldn't mind if
Niko is also happy.

Cheers,
Dominic.