Plans for 5.20

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Tue Apr 29 18:41:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:53:29PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> Upstream is planning the first release candidate of perl 5.20.0 in a
> few days, so I thought it was worth bringing up the subject of releasing
> it into Debian here. If I can make the time (which I'm currently
> planning to) I can try and get the first RC into experimental, matching
> what we did last year; it's never too soon to start those mass
> rebuilds :)

Thanks, that's very welcome!

> Niko, did you have any particular plans? What do you see the state of
> the multiarch support these days - do you need input from others at the
> moment and is this something you think might be ready to go in with
> 5.20?

No particular plans.

I've sort of given up on the "full multiarch" thing for now. I think
what we can do is just to mark perl as Multi-Arch: allowed (or maybe
even foreign), and possibly perl-modules too. That doesn't need to be
bundled with the major version update.

The big change packaging-wise is making libperl coinstallable between
architectures (Multi-Arch:same), but that's also what turns up all the
dpkg corner cases where the interpreter architecture doesn't match
XS modules etc. As long as there's only a perl interpreter for one
architecture on the system, it all stays simple.

I'll try and bring this up on debian-devel once more, hopefully by the
weekend, but I don't think it should be coupled with 5.20.
--
Niko