[Po4a-devel] XML: prevent some attributes from being translated

poy poy at 123gen.com
Sun Feb 1 22:57:48 UTC 2009

> In the next version, I would like to add "placeholder" tags.
>
> In that case, it should be possible to po4a to generate such PO files:
>
> msgid "abc_translated <placeholder a_1/> def_translated"
> msgstr ""
>
> msgid "content of the link"
> msgstr ""

hi,

i have been playing with the current CVS version of po4a, especially these
placeholder changes.
in the command-line i use when calling po4a-gettextize, i add:
-o nodefault=<a> [to prevent <a> from being considered an inline tag]
-o placeholder=<a>
and it works like a charm! :)
i get exactly the result you wrote above, except that the placeholder tag is
"<placeholder0>".

now i have the following suggestions:

1) make it "<placeholder0/>" (slash added) instead? it would just look more
correct, though if it works like this it's not much of a problem.

2) being able to define the name of that "placeholder" tag; eg, in my case,
i would like to call it "link".

3) the caption of the link is cut out of its context; i would love the
following:
msgid "abc <placeholder0>click here</placeholder0> def"
msgstr ""

#1 and #2 are really cosmetics; however, #3 is quite important in my mind,
because translators might get confused if the caption of the link has to be
translated elsewhere than in the sentence they are currently translating.

thanks,

poy