[Po4a-devel] XML: prevent some attributes from being translated

poy poy at 123gen.com
Mon Feb 23 16:07:07 UTC 2009

>> 3) the caption of the link is cut out of its context; i would love the
>> following:
>> msgid "abc <placeholder0>click here</placeholder0> def"
>> msgstr ""
>
> I cannot do this in po4a.
> This would require a standard to put links in PO files.

oh this is not what i meant... i don't want the ability to jump between one
translation and another inside a PO file, not at all.
i meant to show an example of a text which would be hard to translate if it
were cut out of its context, ie the fact that the text englobed in the
placeholder isn't inlined within the rest of the message.

a better example:

Welcome to our project. Make sure you download it from the <a
href="alioth.debian.../po4a">official site</a>!

that would result in these 2 separate translations:

msgid "Welcome to our project. Make sure you download it from the
<placeholder ... />!"
msgstr ""

msgid "official site"
msgstr ""

what i wanted was to embed the caption of the link (2nd translation) in the
1st, main translation, because often the context is relevant to the way the
caption of the link will have to be translated. something like:
msgid "Welcome to our project. Make sure you download it from the
<placeholder ... >official site</placeholder>!"

thanks,

poy