[Po4a-devel] Fwd: Need help to have more 100% translated po/bin/*.po files

Omar Campagne ocampagne at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 19:44:44 UTC 2010

> Some languages could easily be 100% up-to-date, but it seems that
> current translator is unresponsive.
> Is someone interested in trying to join those translators and their
> translation teams, if they exist, in order to find new translators?

vi -> Basically, it's Cyltie, she seems really active, but of course,
on too many fronts. She seems to be quite alone.

ca -> Jordi Vilalta doesn't seem interested on l10n anymore, but Debian's
ca team shows some nice stats.

A problem here is launchpad. When I contacted translators during the
last call, some of them pointed out that the translation was up to date, as
that's what launchpad showed. At least one of those lp translators was happy
to stop using that interface, and getting the PO file directly.
Also, in lp a lot of people may work on a translation, but only the last
will be contacted (and maybe he has no interest in l10n by now).

Sadly, po4a's launchpad is stopped at 0.29. OTOH, there is
https://code.launchpad.net/~kiko/po4a/trunk-new, which is up to date.
He seems to be an active ubuntu/lp member, yet I don't know if he's
part of ubuntu-devel, the maintainers for Ubuntu's po4a. Perhaps I can mail
him and get to know if he would be up for the task of maintaining translations
in launchpad.
However, I'm willing to take over Jordi's Vilalta lp repo, I would just need him
to hand it over to me, and some time to learn the internals.
Perhaps getting po4a translation in lp to be managed by Launchpad translators
team with structured permissions will be a good idea, as that would take care
of quality, and would get po4a into translation teams instead of individual
translators (as that is what happens with open permissions).

Another way of getting some visibility would be to put the project at
pootle.locamotion.org. It gives the ability to deactivate specific languages,
which would be great at least for fr, ru, de and the rest of languages which
are actively maintained through vcs access.

Last option would be to get people involved through debian-i18n maillist, as
you are interested in keeping this project "un-debianized" so other projects
feel more comfortable to use it.

If any of you is using any other distro, does it have a strong translation
team? Besides Debian, I use Arch, which doesn't really have l10n
means. Perhaps we could try getting in touch with other distro's teams.

However, this needs some organization, if po4a starts having many l10n
sources, in order to avoid duplication of work.

Regards,

Omar Campagne