[Popcon-developers] popcon & derivatives

Bill Allombert Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Tue May 7 13:56:51 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 03:46:18PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 09:30 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> > Currently, popcon in derivatives other than Ubuntu submits to
> > popcon.debian.org and we don't have any way to determine which of those
> > are Debian users and which are users of derivatives. I would like to
> > propose a few changes to make this situation nicer and have attached a
> > couple of preliminary patches.
>
> It was pointed out[1] on debian-derivatives that dpkg-vendor is in
> dpkg-dev, so I've replaced this with a call to sed, patch attached.
>
>      1. http://lists.debian.org/20121028040414.GA7479@gaara.hadrons.org

Using sed in a perl script is a bit backward...

What is the vendor field about ? Who set it ?
What happen if the user decides to 'upgrade' to a different derivative ?

I suppose that you wrote theses patches with specific derivatives in mind.
What do they do with respect to the vendor field and popcon ?

I wonder whether separating count by popcon version and count by vendor field to be
helpful. It would probably more useful to count each pair (popcon version, vendor field)
separately because that more or less match the notion of derivative releases

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.