[Popcon-developers] gnugp dependency of apt

David Kalnischkies kalnischkies+debian at gmail.com
Fri May 17 20:09:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Bill Allombert
<Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr> wrote:
> So if you plan to remove this dependency (and e.g. use gpg2 or gpgv instead), please
> let me know so.

The plan is to get right of the hard-dependency on gnupg in the future as
we don't need it anymore now that keyring-packages are advised to drop
their keys into /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ instead of using apt-key.

All we need is gpgv (which is what we actual use all these years), so that
will be our hard-dependency in the future, but I presume gnupg will just be
demoted to Recommends, so it will stay available "on all but unusual systems"
as it remains needed for apt-key.
(were is a bit of work left to make that happen, but "I have a dream".
 Mainly because using gnupg non-interactively is a hell even worse than
 dependency hell, but that is another story …)

So in practice you shouldn't notice the difference.
But I don't really see why our usage is important here, popcon isn't even
depending on apt (and popcon tells me that [a tiny fraction of] systems do
 not have apt installed while they report popcon …)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies