[Python-apps-team] RFS: s3ql (new python application)

Kilian Krause kilian at debian.org
Mon Jun 27 09:20:25 UTC 2011

Hi Nikolaus,

On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 21:05 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "s3ql".
>
> * Package name    : s3ql
>   Version         : 1.0.1-1
>   Upstream Author : me (Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org>)
> * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/
> * License         : GPLv3
>   Section         : misc
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> s3ql       - Full-featured file system for online data storage

> ITP: 626651
>
> I'd be happy to join the python-apps-team and have this team maintained,
> but so far I did not get any response on my request to join the team on
> Alioth. Should I be doing anything else?
>

> At the moment, the package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/s3ql/s3ql_1.0.1-1.dsc

Thanks for your work. Here goes my comments:

1. You use quilt as build-depends. This should not be neccessary with
dpkg-source v3.

2. fix-sys-path.patch feels like you should split out the python modules
into the standard python path. That may also cause ${python:Depends} to
match further packages directly without having them explicitly spelled
out on the Depends line in debian/control

Setting --install-lib=/usr/share/s3ql to something more sensible
(according to [1] would be /usr/lib/s3ql) will help here.

3. debian/README.Debian doesn't need to be in *.docs. See man
dh_installdocs:
         Each of these files is automatically installed if present for a
         package.

4. Downloading
http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/d/distribute/distribute-0.6.14.tar.gz
Extracting in /tmp/tmpeY0G4V

OUCH! buildds do not all have internet access. Your package should build
fine without that. Moreover the contents of the pulled in tarball could
be anything. Thus ensuring DFSG-free sources is virtually impossible
when external sources are pulled in.

5. Your package doesn't build in pbuilder:

dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of directory doc
dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to
s3ql-1.0.1/distribute-0.6.14.tar.gz: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: error: add distribute-0.6.14.tar.gz in
debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary
in the debian tarball
dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to
s3ql-1.0.1/distribute-0.6.14-py2.6.egg: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: error: add distribute-0.6.14-py2.6.egg in
debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary
in the debian tarball
dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to
s3ql-1.0.1/distribute-0.6.14-py2.7.egg: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: error: add distribute-0.6.14-py2.7.egg in
debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary
in the debian tarball
dpkg-source: error: unrepresentable changes to source
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b s3ql-1.0.1 gave error exit
status 2

[1]:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html

Sorry!